How to set the group/category for a webpart?

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Hi,

I have developed an event handler,called TaskListEventHandler, for the Task list ((ItemAdding, ItemDeleting, ItemUpdating) as feasture using the WSP Builder project template, and I have also added a web part, called RegisterEventHandler, which could be used to bind(register) the events to a list. The webpart is WSP Builder template "Webpart without feature".

Currently, on deployment, my feature and the webpart is getting deployed sucessfully. The web part is available in the web part gallery.

Now i need to make the web part available in a particular category/group in the gallery using the WSP Builder?

I  tried setting the group in the RegisterEventHandler.webpart file (which is automatically created by WSP builder on adding the webpart template inot the project), but still it doesn't show up :(

<webParts>
  <webPart xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WebPart/v3">
    <metaData>
      <type name="Test.EventHandler.RegisterEventHandler, TaskListEventHandler, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9cfae6f598922b94" />
      <importErrorMessage>Cannot import RegisterEventHandler Web Part.</importErrorMessage>
    </metaData>
    <data>
      <properties>
        <property name="Title" type="string">RegisterEventHandler</property>
        <property name="Description" type="string">This webpart is used to register or unregister the event handler to the task list  - By Biju (09 Sep 2009)</property>
        <property name="Group" type="string">Biju Webparts</property>
      </properties>
    </data>
  </webPart>
</webParts>
  Could anyone please help or suggest me some solution or sample code?

With regards
Biju
Oct 2, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I think you have it right, to be sure your deployment works, try to completely un-deploy everything (including web your web parts from the web part gallery) and re-activate the Feature.

If you want to try a shortcut, just try deactivating/reactivating your Feature, which may refresh the web part definition in the web part gallery.

...but it looks like you did the right thing. Good luck.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

pseale, there is no feature to activate/deactivate. He created the webpart without feature.

I am having the same issue, I am also trying to set the webpart as hidden as the default.  How do I do this with the "Webpart without feature".  Seems setting any other property other than Title or Description gets ignored.

Thoughts?