WSPBuilder extremely slow with large DLLs ?

May 19, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Hi all,

I am using the version 0.9.8.0830 of the visual studio addin, Visual Studio Pro 2008 and Windows Server 2008.

WSPBuilder works fine on all my project, except one where I have to use iTextSharp. It has a pretty large DLL.

Because of that DLL, it takes more than 5-10 minutes to build the WSP package (the Visual Studio build, without WSP packaging takes less then 5 seconds.)

Can someone tell me more about this ? is this going to be fixed ?

Many thanks!

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM

This has been my same experience. iTextSharp is part of my project as well although I didn't localize it down to that assembly but I started having very long wsp build times (5-10 minutes) around the same time I added that reference. I haven't had time yet to try to maybe pull down the code and step through this and see whats going on but if anyone has seen a fix for this (or can confirm this as some sort of issue) I'd like to hear as well.

Josh

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM

This is a known issue. The reason is because of Mono.Cecil.dll.

Try using this old previous version of WSPBuilder without Cecil. It should be much faster because it uses the .NET for reflection of dlls.
To install just replace the WSPBuilder.exe file found in "C:\ProgramFiles\WSPTools..." and do not reinstall WSPBuilder Extensions.
 http://wspbuilder.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=10501

/keutmann