Building in a 32 bit environment Deploying to a 64 bit environment

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:44 PM
I'm using the WSPBuilder Extensions within Visual Studio 2008. I work within a 32 bit environment. So far, the deployments have been to other 32 bit environments and all deployments are flawless.  Now I'm facing a deployment to a 64 bit environment.  

QUESTION: If I'm deploying to a 64 bit environment does it matter if I created the deployment folder package from a 32 bit environment?
I've been following these steps to create my deployment file:
1. Ensure a successful build  :-)
2. I use the context menu option "Build WSP" (right clicking on the project name in the solution folder) 
3. I use the context menu option "Create Deployment Folder" which creates a deployment folder and provisions it with several files: ( "setup.exe", "<My Solution Name>.wsp", "Setup.exe.config", "wspbuilder.exe", 3 .bat files and a "cablib.dll" ).
4. I then zip up this folder and send it to person who is doing the deployment and all is well.

As to my question, do I need to worry about replacing any of the provisioned files with 64 bit files like cablib.dll?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:04 AM
Most of the stuff in the deployment folder is optional. You get three ways to deploy a solution - wspbuilder, sharepoint solution installer (setup.exe) and stsadm.
Stsadm will work on any server. WSPBuilder uses the 32 bit cablib.dll so probably won't work. Not sure about SharePoint Solution Installer.
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM
we used the stsadm commands and it worked flawlessly on a multiserver 64 bit Farm for a client - wrap them in a bat file and you will be good to go.
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:08 PM
Thanks to tqc and idicker for responding.
I found out today that the Setup.exe file does work, perfectly, when deploying to a 64 bit system even when it's created on a 32 bit system. :-)