Configure WSP Extensions for Visual Studio

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:02 AM
I have installed the extensions for Visual Studio and WSPBuilder is incuded in the Program Files folder.  In VS there's the WSPBuilder context menu when you right click on the WSP Solution project in VS, the menu has items such as Deploy solution, upgrade solution, copy files to GAC, etc.  If you click Deploy Solution, how can you control which site the solution is deployed to, or control the other options that are available on the WSPBuilder command line?
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:25 PM
Actually I realised on reading the help text (note to self: read manual before posting question) that you can't control the target for the deployment even with comand-line wspbuilder, all you can do is set deploy true/false right?  How does it decide which sites to deploy to? 

OK so forget about deployment, my question really is can you control the other options that WSPBuilder will use when it builds the WSP file when you use the context menu in Visual Studio.  For example with wspbuilder on the command line you can set -cleanup false to prevent the manifest.xml file being deleted after build.  Can you make the context menu "Build WSP" do the same thing, and if so how?

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:56 PM
It's not possible at the moment to control the wspbuilder.exe with arguments or using project specific settings when building from the Visual Studio context menu.
However this is a request from many others and will one of first new features that will be implemented into the WSPBuilder extensions, but there are no release date yet.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:51 AM
OK fair enough look forward to the next version.  A couple more questions:

1) If I run WSPBuilder on a command line from the project folder of my project (subfolders are 12 and bin and WebPartCode etc.)  then can I create folders called 80 and GAC and use these as described in the manual to deploy GAC files and access the bin folder of the web application, create security policies etc.

2) DoesWSPBuilder effectively run in the background when you click the context menu from Visual Studio, what parameter does it use for deploymenttarget  gac, bin, auto?
Aug 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM
WSPBuilder version supports that you use the wspbuilder.exe.config file local in your projects. 
This enables project specific arguments to WSPBuilder when building from Visual Studio.
WSPBuilder will first look for the general config file, then the local project and last the command line arguments.

WSPBuilder Extensions create a new process when it calls WSPBuilder from Visual Studio.