Visual Basic webpart project and wspbuilder

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM
I am trying to use the wsp builder to package a webpart built from a vb.net project in vs2008. I am using vista x64 to build. I am able to deploy the pieces i need manually, a dll to the gac, an html in the layouts folder, some js in the 1033 folder, and a jpg in the images folder. Any help would be appreciated.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM
WSPBuilder Extensions do not support VS2008 VB projects, only C#.
But you can use the WSPBuilder.exe console application to create your WSP file.
I have not yet released a WSPBuilder (0.9.8.0408) x64 version . But you should be able to use the 0.9.8.0408 version on a x64 computer, you just have to replace the CABLIB.DLL with a x64 version of the same file. This you can find a x64 CABLIB.DLL in the previous versions of WSPBuilder.

wrecklesswun wrote:
I am trying to use the wsp builder to package a webpart built from a vb.net project in vs2008. I am using vista x64 to build. I am able to deploy the pieces i need manually, a dll to the gac, an html in the layouts folder, some js in the 1033 folder, and a jpg in the images folder. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM

I still haven't figure out how to package a functional "Hello world" VB.net web part into a WSP file.  I did the Helloworld thing with a WSPBuilder c# project, built and deploy.  The web part works flawlessly.  :-)

Then I recreated the same folder structure in a VB.net peoject.  at the root of the project I run the following lines.

@SET SWPBUILDER="C:\Program Files\WSPTools\WSPBuilderExtensions\WSPBuilder.exe"

REM WSPBuilder
%SWPBUILDER% -Projectpath D:\ISF\Interfaces\ISF.Presentation\01.01\ -Outputpath D:\ISF\WSPBuilds\

I end up with a wsp which contains files as the example wsp.

Then I run this.  When I try to add the web part in my pages, I'm always stuck with a Cannot Import Web part message.

@SET STSADM="c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe"

%STSADM% -o deletesolution -name ISF.wsp -override
%STSADM% -o addsolution -filename .\WSPBuilds\ISF.wsp

%STSADM% -o deploysolution -name ISF.wsp  -immediate -url http://mysite:80 -allowGacDeployment -allowCasPolicies -force

Thanks for any help

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:18 PM
alot of times you will get that error, if:

a) a safecontrol entry is missing
b) version is incorrect
c) did not do an iisreset or at least reset the app pool