Only recylce specific app-pools?

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to have WSPBuilder (The Visual Studio Extention one) only recycle specific app-pools instead of all?

Our development environment has amassed quite some app-pools, and recycling them all is taking quite some time.

It would be a big time-safer if we could set WSPBuilder to recycle only 1 specific app-pool, it would also not hinder other people that might work on other app-pools on the same machine.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Hi StarLite,

This really would save a lot of time, but there is a workaround for this. Instead of clicking "Deploy to GAC" from WSPBuilder menu inside the VS, you can create your own bat file that copies the dll to GAC and recycles only one app pool.

This is how I do that:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\Gacutil.exe" -i GAC\MyProject.dll

c:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\appcmd recycle apppool /apppool.name:"SharePoint AppPool Name"

Change the dll path (in my example the dll is located in GAC subfolder of the root of the VS project) and the name for application pool, save these two lines in the .bat file located in the root of the VS project  (i.e. copytogac.bat), and every time you need to deploy new version of your code to sharepoint just run that bat file.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Damjan.