Steps for creating a deployment package for a web part

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM
Edited Oct 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I created simple WSP Project and added a WebPart in development environment. I successfully deployed it to the SharePoint using WSPBuilder-Studio menu “Deploy”, it works great!  

Now lets say I want to deploy this to production, I was looking for some package like Setup.EXE or some batch file which can be used to deploy it to prod. I successfully uninstalled the webpart using WSPBuilder Studio menu-“Uninstall”. This time I want to deploy it using Setup.EXE.

To create a Setup package, I tried the following

A forum post said that I need to add “Solution Installer Configurationto my project, I tried..

Add New Item – WSPBuilder\Solution Installer Configuration => This gives you the \12\Deploy\Setup.exe.config

I get the error message “Features must be added to the project node”, I am not sure what it is?

I tried to "Create Deployment Folder” assuming there will be a folder which will have the SetUp.EXE. It does created the "deploy" folder but SetUp.Exe is not there in my {Project}\bin\deploy\{Project} directory, What step I am missing here?

I tried the batch file "deploywithstsadm" which was in "deploy" folder. When I execute it, I got the following error.

"MyProject.wsp" does not exist in the solution store.

Could you please advice on how to create a deployment package for a webpart that can be deployed in remote SharePoint server?

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I am also getting same error message when I want to creat a New Web part feature.. Please help me.