Deploy to remote server

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:06 AM
Is it possible to configure WSPBuilder to deploy to a remote server? My Dev machine is seperate from my Sharepoint box and

When i build the WSP file and then select deploy it wants to deploy to the local machine, how can i configure the app to deploy to a remote 12 directory ?
May 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM
I have the same question.
May 5, 2009 at 1:52 AM
Sorry Imazur but i never got an answer to this question. All i do now is mirror the 12 directory in my project and then build the WSP file using WSPBuilder and then on the sharepoint server i just deploy the solution as normal.
May 5, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Thanks frostfang. I’m a newbie to the deployment of features to sharepoint.

What does the WSP solution provide you? I see that it makes a manifest file, but could you provide some information on what you are doing to deploy the solution. From the tutorials I saw, I just need to copy the directory structure to the sharepoint server, and add the class libraries to the GAC if I have some additional c# libraries. After which I run the stsadm command and restart iis.

How do you do it?

Thanks

Len

May 13, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Sorry for the late reply. This is from the home page:

The folder structure that WSPBuilder uses to build the wsp file is actually the same folder
stucture you will find in: "%Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12"
So all that you have to do, is the create a \12 folder in your project and add your files to
that folder matching the same structure as if you where to put them directly into the
"%Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12" folder manually.

So using this info i created the structure i wanted in my project (features etc...)and then build the WSP file using the WSP builder. This created the WSP File and it contained the libraries and all the xml needed. Then i copied it over to the sharepoint server and then deployed the solution via stsadm.

I'm not entirely sure if this worked but when i created just the feature folder structure WSP Builder build a WSP file as a Feature and i could deploy just a feature using stsadm, but i am not 100% sure this worked, i only realy deploy solutions.