Linking resources from other projects

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM
Having had a look at the P&P SharePoint Guidance also on CodePlex, I noticed their technique of linking to Visual Studio items from other projects such as web forms /controls and assemblies. This seemed like a really good idea as I generally have a seperate web application to build up custom web pages and controls, but always forget to copy them into the WSP project (or more commonly, forget to copy the latest built assembly into the GAC subfolder). I tried linking to the files in my WSP project but it did seem to take them into account whe building the solution. Does anyone know if this is possible or planned for a future release?

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM
WSPBuilder.exe is a console application and therefore it has no connection with Visual Studio. WSPBuilder picks up what is in the folders of the project and ignores Visual Studio, so you have to be sure to copy all your files to the project before building.
Nov 28, 2008 at 2:35 PM
Thanks keutmann... you're right fo couse. I knew WSPBuilder was a console applicaiton but having used it so much inside Visual Studio via the extensions this completely eluded me and now it is obviuos to me why it can not pick up the linked files in VS.

I would also just like to say thanks for such an invaluable tool. I had looked at quite a few different tools and approaches to sharepoint deployment (including VSeWSS) before finally settling on WSPBuilder, which so far has being abosultely fantasic. I even went and re-looked at VSeWSS in light of the P&P guidance recently but still found some areas where it is not as flexible as WSPBuilder... the only really nice-to-have would be the linked file support (maybe there could be someway to interface this in via the extensions in the future?)

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:48 AM
Edited Jun 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I've managed to get linked files to work by creating a simple tool that runs as a PreBuild task and copies the linked files.

You can check it here: