I Have the Solution to Make WSP Builder work with Visual Studio 2012 and SharePoint 2013

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM

If you are like me, you hate the Visual Studio Templates for SharePoint and love WSPBuilder for creating your wsp's. I recently set up a new dev environment on Server 2008 R2 with a SQL Server 2008R2 backend. I installed SharePoint 2013 and Visual Studio 2012 on the frontend. While I was upgrading one of my old 2007 solutions to make it work on SP 2013, I realized I could no longer quickly build my solution package. I tried installing the SP 2010 version of WSPBuilder on VS 2012, but it didn't work. So, I manually copied the Visual Studio templates to the proper locations and modified the xml in the tools file and it worked--I could now see the WSPBuilder templates and the tools were showing (i.e. I could right click on my project and see the WSPBuilder > Build wsp in the context menu. I created the wsp and realized the dll in "GAC" folder was being excluded because of "unmanaged code"--that's because the builder was built to use the 3.5 framework--anything above that is considered unmanaged code. To fix this, I opened the source code for the the WSPTools and commented out the code in several places where unmanaged code was being excluded from the manifest. I then recompiled the project and copied the new WSPBuilder.exe into the program folder (in Program Files X86)--PRESTO!--Everything works now. The dll is added to the Global Assembly Cache in the manifest and all of the safe control tags are created. When you run the builder in VS, you get the "Could not resolve" message in the verbose output, but it still creates all of the tags in the Manifest and packages everything correctly in the .wsp.

If you would like more details on how to do this, feel free to email me at willzworld2@msn.com

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Here is a post that talks about how to do this:

http://gblsharepoint.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-wspbuilder-with-visual-studio-2012.html

Note the path in Win 2008 R2 is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins
Mar 16, 2013 at 6:11 AM

I already know how to do it...and the solution in your post only covers part of the issue. WSPBuilder does not support .net 4 framework, which is the main issue because you need .net 4 framework for SharePoint 2013.

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 5:45 PM
To: willzworld2@msn.com
Subject: Re: I Have the Solution to Make WSP Builder work with Visual Studio 2012 and SharePoint 2013 [wspbuilder:404783]

Here is a post that talks about how to do this:

http://gblsharepoint.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-wspbuilder-with-visual-studio-2012.html

Note the path in Win 2008 R2 is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins