Third party dll's

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2008 at 8:24 PM
I have the following challenge. I have a third party dll which my features requires. The name is MyThirdPartyDll.dll
I want it to be installed in the gac along with my MyFeature.dll
I know that a assembly tag should be added to the manifest file and I can do so manualy. But is there a way to
have wspbuilder do it ?

Solution SolutionId="4AFC1350-F354-4439-B941-51377E845F2B"
    <FeatureManifest Location="Calls\feature.xml"/>
    <FeatureManifest Location="ServiceRequest\feature.xml"/>
    <FeatureManifest Location="Customers\feature.xml"/>
    <FeatureManifest Location="HelpDeskCore\feature.xml"/>
    <TemplateFile Location="Mobile\HelpDeskHomePage.ascx"/>
    <TemplateFile Location="1033\xml\webtemphd.xml"/>
    <TemplateFile Location="SiteTemplates\HelpDesk\onet.xml"/>
    <TemplateFile Location="SiteTemplates\HelpDesk\default.aspx"/>
    <Assembly DeploymentTarget="GlobalAssemblyCache"
    <Assembly DeploymentTarget="GlobalAssemblyCache"

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:43 PM
I assume you're using the WSPBuilder extensions in Visual Studio. If you are, the solution may be more complicated (or not?)--either way, I'm sure WSPBuilder does this for you.

If you're just using the wspbuilder.exe command-line tool, the solution is to create a GAC\ folder and place the third-party DLL in the GAC folder. When you run WSPBuilder.exe, it will look for DLL's in the GAC folder and add them to the WSP.

The GAC\ folder is a root-level, i.e. it's a sibling to the 12\ folder and the 80\ folder; it's not underneath either.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I am also facing the same issue.  I have modified the manifest.xml content to add the assembly reference. Re-creating wsp and then deploy. But i want to know whether wspbuilder installed to visual studio 2010 can do it automatically? I have created a folder names GAC in my projct and added the third party dll as an existing item. But in wsp manifest xml i dont find any assembly references added.