Creating Event Handler w/ WSPBuilder 1.06

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Edited Sep 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM

I recently downloaded WSPBuilder 1.06 and am attempting to create an Event Handler project to handle a task when items are added/updated on a list.  I came across a few sites referencing the Event Handler template, when adding in a new item.  This template is not available for me.  I have successfully installed WSPBuilder 1.06 and have it communicating with VS 2010.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM

When you right-click the project in Visual Studio, do you have WSPBuilder as a context menu item (with sub-items such as "Build WSP")?

When you right-click the project in Visual Studio and choose Add/New Item, do you have WSPBuilder as a category on the left side? If so, what templates are listed on the right side?

Is the event handler item template ( installed in Visual Studio's item template directory?

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Hi PerrySharePoint,

Thanks for the reply.  Here are my answers:

Question 1:  Yes.

Question 2:  Yes.  Templates listed:  Blank Feature, Delegate Control, Sequential Workflow, State Machine Workflow, Visual Web Part, Web Part.

Question 3:  When attempting to navigate to \VisualStudioInstallationDirectory\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Language\Locale\, I did not have an ItemTemplates folder.

I did experiment further and discovered that the Event Handler template may no longer be selectable because it can be accessed via the following:

1.  Create a new WSPBuilder Project.

2.  Right-click the project > Add > New Item.

3.  Select WSPBuilder on the Left > Select Blank Feature on the Right > Give the blank feature a name > Add.

4.  NOTICE the Event Handler check box.  Check this box > Finish.

I did notice that the elements.xml file was not pre-populated with tags to hook up the event handler correctly.  From some reseach, this used to be done, when the Event Handler template was available.  So, I resorted to referencing the following MSDN articles to learn more about putting together my elements.xml file:

So far, I've been able to build and deploy with WSP, but my actions (ItemAdded, ItemUpdated) are still not working.  So, I'll have to continue working at it.