Microsoft SharePoint Services Administration is not running

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Hi,

I used WSPBuilder a few times very successfully - thanks, but I recently had to re-install sharepoint on my dev VM, after doing so I now get the following error when I got to my project and try to use the wspbuilder->Deploy option:

Microsoft SharePoint Services Administration is not running on <Servername>

I suspect its due to the basic sharepoint installer installing the services administrartion console to a different (random) port number - but I cant see where this might be configured wither in wsp or in my solution.... I bet I am missing something obvious but cant see it.

Cheers,

Sam
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM
I do not think this is an WSP issue. Microsoft SharePoint Services Administration service must be running to install wsp packages.
Jun 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM
sorry for the delay - I fixed this issue by reverting my vm to a previous snapshot. however its happened again. For various reasons I have had to uninstall sharepoint and re-install it. Everything is running frine and the Administration stuff is all installed and working but when I go into VS2005, open my solution then select the wspdeploy option I get the same error in my post above.

I have tried uninstalling wspbuilder extensions and re-installing it but still get the same error. The only way now is to deploy the solution using stsadm manually.
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM
Oops.... dont worry - Figured it out, and yes you were right! Actually the administration service was not starting properly due to a wierd permission problem. Fixed that and all is ok again.
Aug 16, 2008 at 5:19 AM
okay it is great that you solved this issue, however I am experiencing the same thing and I would love to know how you resolved it with out reloading sharepoint 3.0.

Thanks Kenneth
Aug 18, 2008 at 7:46 AM
as per my previous post - the admin service wasnt starting automatically. From memory I think its because it was either using the wrong account or password - changing it to use the right credentials allowed the service to start and then wsp builder worked just fine.
Nov 14, 2008 at 2:50 PM
Actually, the exact name of the service is: Windows SharePoint Services Administration.
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Thanks, it works