WSP and Data Access

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Hi,

I'm creating a web based application for Sharepoint Services 3.0 using WSPBuilder. My visual studio solution contains two projects. The first is the WSPBuilder package and the second is a asp.net web application. I was able to call the the asp.net web application control into the WspBuilder solution through the CreateChildControl() method.

In addition, I was aboe to succesfully add the project to the GAC and succesfuly build and deploy the WSPBuilder to the 12 hive. Also, I was able to activate, add and see the new web part in sharepoint.

The Problem:

I need to access data from a SQL 2005 database that it is on the same server where Sharepoint Services 3.0 is and also where I'm developing my project. If I add a SqlConnectionString into my Asp.Net web application I can compile the project without any errors. However, after succesfully building and deploying the WSPbuilder app, the sharepoint page goes to an error page. I looked into the Event Viwer and I found the following:

Load control template file /_controltemplates/ArgoBranchReportControl.ascx failed: The connection name 'HIR_ConnectionString' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.

The same occurs when I just use a simple Linq query (by the way I also have a .dbml file inside the asp.net web application)

I don't know how to approach the situation. I would assume that by loading the control in the WSPBuilder project it will inherit all the controls and objects from the asp.net control being loaded.

So, the question is how can I manipulate data by using the WSPBuilder approach?

Any help will be so greatly appreciated.

Windows Server 2003 - SqlServer 2005, SharePoint Services 3.0, Visual Studio 2008, .NET 3.5

Thanks!

Eduardo