Problem with how to use WSPBuilder for deployment.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2008 at 1:35 PM
Hi,
I am new guy for sharepoint deployment. In my project I am doing the .aspx pages with controls and deploy to share point server . For each web pages which I needed , I'm creating separate project and putting my page into the project. Up to now I wanted 3 separate pages. So what I have done is created a solution and crated 3 projects inside the solution. I put 3 aspx files into seperate 3 projects as follows.

Solution
....... |-- Project 1
............ |-- Deployment Files
.....................|- .ddf file
.....................|- .target file
.....................|- manifest file
.............|-- TEMPLATE
.....................|-- FEATURES
..............................|-- Module1
..........................................|-elements.xml file
..........................................|-feature.xml file
..........................................|- Module1.aspx file
..........................................|-Module1.cs file

........|-- Project 2
........|-- Project 3

But I need to develop more than 1 .aspx pages which depend on each others. So this approach is not suit. That’s why I searched and I found this great(All the people are saying) WSPBuilder.exe
But I don’t know exactly how to use it, I heard (By reading all the posts in this forum) for dll files should create GAC folder, for .aspx files should create Layer folder…etc.
I know how to write elements.xml and feature.xml according to above hierarchy. But I don’t know how it would be when it use it in WSPBuilder. I know if I use this, no need to worry about manifest, ddf files..anymore..
( is there a developed project source files? I downloaded from Source tab, But it didn’t make me much sense. :( )
Please can you help me to overcome this problem?

Thanks &
Regards,
Susantha
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Hi Susantha

You are missing the 12 folder in your project.

Solution
....... |-- Project 1
--------| 12 (This way the wspbuilder knowns where to find the features and layout pages.)
.................|-- TEMPLATE

........|-- Project 2
........|-- Project 3

/keutmann

susantha wrote:
Hi,
I am new guy for sharepoint deployment. In my project I am doing the .aspx pages with controls and deploy to share point server . For each web pages which I needed , I'm creating separate project and putting my page into the project. Up to now I wanted 3 separate pages. So what I have done is created a solution and crated 3 projects inside the solution. I put 3 aspx files into seperate 3 projects as follows.

Solution
....... |-- Project 1

........|-- Project 2
........|-- Project 3

But I need to develop more than 1 .aspx pages which depend on each others. So this approach is not suit. That’s why I searched and I found this great(All the people are saying) WSPBuilder.exe
But I don’t know exactly how to use it, I heard (By reading all the posts in this forum) for dll files should create GAC folder, for .aspx files should create Layer folder…etc.
I know how to write elements.xml and feature.xml according to above hierarchy. But I don’t know how it would be when it use it in WSPBuilder. I know if I use this, no need to worry about manifest, ddf files..anymore..
( is there a developed project source files? I downloaded from Source tab, But it didn’t make me much sense. :( )

Thanks &
Regards,
Susantha

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:43 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 7:45 AM
Hi Keutmann,
I am sorry , you have misunderstood what i said.
I haven't miss that 12 th folder for WSPBuilder. Previously i have done my project using above hierarchy without WSPBuilder. I have written, .ddf , .manifest, .target files manually. It has worked for one particular .aspx page per project. Thats what i have shown there.

Then i needed to deploy dependent pages (more than one) in a single project. Thats why I thought to move with WSPBuilder. For WSPBuilder i used following hierarchy.

Solution
....... |-- Project 1
...........|12
.....................|-- LAYOUTS
.............................|MYLAYOUTS
..........................................|-Module1.aspx.cs file
..........................................|- Module2.aspx file
..........................................|-Module2.aspx.cs file
...........|GAC
................| project1.dll
By debugging my standard project, i got .dll files and put those in to GAC folder. And .aspx and code behind pages to LAYOUTS/MYLAOUTS folder.

in WSPBuilder.exe.config file i added this tag,
<add key="Excludefiletypes" value="scc" />
to allow code behind .aspx.cs pages in LAYOUT Folder. ....

also in .aspx page , I put following line too..
<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/_layouts/default.master" CodeBehind="Test.aspx.cs" %>

Then I deployed..

Today, it was deployed successfully and two icons appeared in right menu in share point. Also pages working separately.

I coded to the page as " i can insert some text in 1st textbox and then once i click the button the string i inserted should appear in 2nd textbox...

But in deployed page, once i insert some text in 1st text box and click the button, doesn't appear anything in 2nd textBox. That means page doesn't recognized the code behind page(.aspx.cs) properly? What i have missed?

Can you please give some hints to over come this matter.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
-Susantha

keutmann wrote:
Hi Susantha

You are missing the 12 folder in your project.

Solution
....... |-- Project 1
--------| 12 (This way the wspbuilder knowns where to find the features and layout pages.)

........|-- Project 2
........|-- Project 3

/keutmann

susantha wrote:
Hi,

Solution
....... |-- Project 1

........|-- Project 2
........|-- Project 3

Thanks &
Regards,
Susantha