Feature not copied to C:\Program Files\...\12\TEMPLATE\

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:41 PM
I used WSPBuilder to create a MyFirstFeature.wsp file and then used WSPDeploy.exe MyFirstFeature.wsp. I would expect this sequence of commands to create C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\MyFirstFeature\, but it doesn't. Manual.txt doesn't provide any clue as to what might have gone wrong. I even tried -TraceLevel Verbose, but nothing but the normal output displays. The wsp file looks good. It just won't deploy to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\.

What am I overlooking or missing? Or am I expecting too much automation from this tool?
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2007 at 4:12 AM
When you have created the WSP file , try to use this installer http://www.codeplex.com/sharepointinstaller to install the WSP Pachage, insted of the WSPDeploy.exe.
You however have to setup the "config" file for the installer first.

/keutmann

fmorriso wrote:
I used WSPBuilder to create a MyFirstFeature.wsp file and then used WSPDeploy.exe MyFirstFeature.wsp. I would expect this sequence of commands to create C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\MyFirstFeature\, but it doesn't. Manual.txt doesn't provide any clue as to what might have gone wrong. I even tried -TraceLevel Verbose, but nothing but the normal output displays. The wsp file looks good. It just won't deploy to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\.

What am I overlooking or missing? Or am I expecting too much automation from this tool?

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:16 PM
I tried your suggestion, even trying to install the default DemoSolution.wsp that comes with SharePointInstaller. It claims to have installed correctly, but I can't find it anywhere to activate it. All I see is that directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\MondosoftDemoFeature\ was created.

I ask again. Am I expecting too much automating from these types of tools? To me it's a binary outcome: either the tool works or it doesn't. Yours doesn't seem to work. SharePointInstaller doesn't seem to work either. They both come real close to working, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM
When you ´have installed the WSP package, are you sure that you have activated the WSP package in the Solution administration in Central Administration?
In order to activate your feature, look at the scope of the feature (look in feature.xml) Depending of the scope there is 4 places that a feature can activated, Farm, WebApplication, Site Collection and Site. Otherwise be sure that you have called "iisreset" to recycle the Application Pool after you have installed the feature.

fmorriso wrote:
I tried your suggestion, even trying to install the default DemoSolution.wsp that comes with SharePointInstaller. It claims to have installed correctly, but I can't find it anywhere to activate it. All I see is that directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\MondosoftDemoFeature\ was created.

I ask again. Am I expecting too much automating from these types of tools? To me it's a binary outcome: either the tool works or it doesn't. Yours doesn't seem to work. SharePointInstaller doesn't seem to work either. They both come real close to working, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.