Updating wss.en-US.resx

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:00 PM
First, I can not thank you enough for this tool. It has been a tremendous timesaver with my customers!

I am trying to update wss.en-US.resx in the 80\App_GlobalResources directory, but it looks like my only option is 80\Resources. Is this by design? I know the instructions say to use the Resources folder, but SharePoint does not pick up the file in the Resources folder. Is there a way to force this into the solution, or can it be part of a future version?
Thanks,
Cris
-From WSPManual.txt-
The 80 folder represents the WebApplication folder and contains following subfolders
80\bin, 80\wpcatalog, 80\resources. The 80\bin contains the dll's. If you have some
webpart definitions (webpart, dwp) files, they goes into the wpcatalog folder.
Any file can be added to the resource folder.
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2007 at 11:37 AM
Edited Oct 5, 2007 at 12:53 PM
It is not possible to deploy files to the "80\App GlobalResources" folder, simply because its not supported in the WSP Schema definition. Please read this blog post by Mikhail Dikov, he will explain what to do.

http://www.mikhaildikov.com/2007/03/sharepoint-resources-types-use-and_2163.html

I can see that the WSPManual.txt has to be updated. It should say:
-----------------------------------------------
The 80 folder represents the WebApplication folder and contains following subfolders
80\bin, 80\wpcatalog, 80\wpresources. The 80\bin contains the dll's. If you have some
webpart definitions (webpart, dwp) files, they goes into the wpcatalog folder.
Resource files (txt, jpg or any kind) for a specific DLL goes into this folder.
Create a subfolder named the same as the DLL without the ".DLL" extension.
E.g. If you have a DLL named "MyApplication.DLL" and a picture "icon.gif" belonging to this DLL.
Then the path should look like this. : "80\wpresources\MyApplication\icon.gif"

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM

The SharePoint 2010 WSP Schema definition now supports placing resource files in the App_GlobalResources folder.

What is the folder structure in my solution in order for wspbuilder to create the correct entry in the solution manifest file?

Thanks.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Thanks David! Wow that brings back some memories! Merry Christmas!

Thanks,

Cris Deeter Application Development Manager, Microsoft Premier Developer Support

(314)635-5292 - Cris.Deeter@Microsoft.com

Help Maximize the Value of Your IT Investment with Microsoft Services Premier Support

Description: Description: cid:image001.png@01C85DE5.B90D4E10

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:16 PM
To: Cris Deeter
Subject: Re: Updating wss.en-US.resx [wspbuilder:15957]

The SharePoint 2010 WSP Schema definition now supports placing resource files in the App_GlobalResources folder.

What is the folder structure in my solution in order for wspbuilder to create the correct entry in the solution manifest file?

Thanks.