80/UserControls & wpresources

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:21 PM
Excellent tool and when used with SSI makes creation and deployment pretty slick.

Some feedback/queries:
- I'm using smartpart so I'm creating usercontrols in the "80/UserControls" folder but noticed it was being picked up by WSPBuilder, had look at the manual/readme and didn't see that this was supported
- Wondering if there was any easy way to cater for storing resources in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\wpresources" directory to support the scenario where a dll is gac'ed, things like telerik radmenu, treeview etc.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2007 at 9:27 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2007 at 9:28 PM
The WSPBuilder should not pick up resources in folder 80/UserControl and my test confirms this, however 12/UserControl will but this is useless.
The Class Resource files follows the DLL, so files in 80/wpresources will be picked up and deployed to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\wpresources" if the DLL is deployed to the Global Assembly Cache.
Nov 5, 2007 at 11:29 PM
Sorry about this, but is there a way to deploy to "80/UserControls" ?? I am working on a project with a lot of custom smartpart ascx files. I have looked around quite a bit but am not able find a proper solutions.

Any help or pointer will be great.

Thanks,
Raj
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM
The WSP Schema do not support any form of custom folder creation in the 80 directory (*). Therefore its not possible to use the WSPBuilder to create the 80\UserControls folder. You have to use some kind of SharePoint Job to do the tick. Please see this blog http://www.mikhaildikov.com/2007/03/sharepoint-resources-types-use-and_2163.html

/keutmann

• The 80 Directory is the WebApplication directory.

zafayar wrote:
Sorry about this, but is there a way to deploy to "80/UserControls" ?? I am working on a project with a lot of custom smartpart ascx files. I have looked around quite a bit but am not able find a proper solutions.

Thanks,
Raj

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:17 AM
Thanks for the link.

I am going to try to do this using a feature receiver. If I do get it to work, I will post the receiver code here so that someone else can use it if they need to do something similar.

Thanks, for you help again.
Raj

keutmann wrote:
The WSP Schema do not support any form of custom folder creation in the 80 directory (*). Therefore its not possible to use the WSPBuilder to create the 80\UserControls folder. You have to use some kind of SharePoint Job to do the tick. Please see this blog http://www.mikhaildikov.com/2007/03/sharepoint-resources-types-use-and_2163.html

/keutmann

• The 80 Directory is the WebApplication directory.

zafayar wrote:

Thanks,
Raj

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:38 PM
I am also using the SmartPart web part that needs the ascx files to be in 80/UserControls. Has any thought been into a solution for custom folders in the 80? Does this inability to create folders apply to this: 80/Style Library/new folder/new folder

Thanks for the help
yodamon
Feb 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM
Hi guys,

If you want to package SmartPart usercontrols with the WSPBuilder, check out the SmartTemplates that I've created! :-)
http://www.codeplex.com/smarttemplates

I've created a VS2008 project template that allows you to create a web user control and package it into a feature/solution (by making use of the WSPBuilder).

Hth,
Jan